Proceeds from the ads below will be donated to the Bob Wuesthoff scholarship fund.
Monday, February 16, 2004
DePodesta Press Conference
Here's a link for the press conference announcing DePodesta's hiring. A couple highlights:
- Jim Tracy is staying on through the end of his contract.
- Paul has a five-year contract. (But he's never been a GM before, Frank...?)
- McCourt mentioned the Sons of Sam Horn website as something his sons frequent; one poster there described DePodesta as "the only superstar left who Steinbrenner hasn't bought." Gee, wouldn't it be nice to know they thought enough of the Dodgers to spend time looking at any of our sites? Update: ... starting with Dodger Blues... Update again: Glad to see T.J. Simers found that interesting as well. Dammit, Frank, you own the Dodgers... D-O-D-G-E-R-S. No, Nomar's NOT playing shortstop, there's no Green Monster, and the Yanks are not in our division or even our league.
- I didn't listen to the whole thing, but others on the fan forum have said that Paul made some comment to the effect that he "can't wait to rip off Billy Beane", probably as a response to some of the speculation that Beane will vacuum up all the Dodgers' quality prospects in a few weeks. (Update: it got picked up by the Riverside Press-Enterprise.) Also, "we both hate the Giants", a line designed to get a yuck or two, but not a bad start.
- I'm sick of Frank's Bahstahn accent already. At least he acknowledges that trading the best prospects weren't a good idea. But his admission that firing Evans was strictly an exercise in turf-marking -- yuck. Frank, you have no class whatsoever.