Saturday, October 29, 2005
Does It Really Work That Way?
And for sure, this happens: Season ticket sales show a net increase, with more people happy than sad that DePodesta is gone. The Dodgers improve in 2006 thanks to the talent that DePodesta and Dan Evans helped assemble, the new regime takes credit, and the McCourts crow all year.Mm, dunno. Off the top of my head,
- The starting pitching will be four-of-five the same crew, minus Weaver (unless the team goes into panic mode and re-signs him), plus whatever free agent/whatever can be crated up and boxed from some other team via trade. All of them are aging, save for Jackson, who hasn't proven he can pitch consistently at any level higher than AA.
- The relief corps will be plus Gagné but minus any credible middle relief. Carrara is older, Broxton doesn't impress me much, and everyone else is pretty unimpressive and likely to stay that way.
- The team will be plus Drew unless he gets another package from the Injury-of-the-Month Club.
So the team will be without Drew for at least two months.
- Jayson Werth was a good player in 2004, no?
- Milton Bradley is gone. Whoever do they get to play center?
- Jeff Kent will probably demand a trade after these offseason shenanigans, so expect him to be replaced with singles-hitting Antonio Perez.
- Navarro gets to stay behind the dish.
- Choi will get traded, else he will never get playing time at Chavez Ravine with the likes of Valentine running the show.
- Izturis has a so-so year at the plate, but still retains the OBP problems for which he is famous. Oh, and he's only with the team for four months thanks to his surgery.
- Andy LaRoche won't be ready to play third until 2007. Welcome to a third helping of Nakamura/Saenz/Edwards/somebody even worse from Las Vegas, or random waiver wire droppings.
- The bench... ouch.
Following another non-losing season, season tickets sales will be appreciably south of their former levels, but Dodger fans, eternal patsies that they are, will show up to the tune of 3,000,000+. So does the cycle begin anew, as the spring brings forth wolf cubs and spring lambs alike.