Monday, October 30, 2006
Joe Adcock CAL,LAA b. 1927, played 1964-1966, All-Star: 1960, d. 1999-05-03. A Top 100 Angel, Adcock came to the Angels in the same deal that also sent Leon Wagner to Cleveland. (Wagner, himself a Top 100 Angel, hated the trade, saying he wished he had been "somewhere within the United States" in a press conference after the deal, a comment he ended up apologizing for.) Playing in the long shadow of Hank Aaron in Milwaukee, he still was a prodigious home run hitter himself, with 336 over 17 seasons.
Bobby Bragan BRO b. 1917, played 1943-1944, 1947-1948
Tom Brennan LAN b. 1952, played 1985
Chet Kehn BRO b. 1921, played 1942, d. 1984-04-05
- Chin-Lung Hu has updated his journal as of last Friday, but as you can imagine, I haven't been keeping perhaps as close tabs on this AFL as last year.
- Speaking of the AFL, no games are played on Sunday, and no games were played Friday, save for the Rising Stars Showcase, an All-Star game for an All-Star league, the first ever.
- Alfonso Soriano filed for free agency Sunday, along with Jason Schmidt.
- The A's have scheduled internal interviews for their open managerial slot, and widespread favorite Bob Geren and third base coach Ron Washington will get the nod.
- Also: Frank Thomas officially filed for free agency on Saturday.
- The "throw-away" World Series set record-low ratings for the second year running.