Proceeds from the ads below will be donated to the Bob Wuesthoff scholarship fund.
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Before I do my game recap of the last meaningless preseason game of 2007...
- The Angels announced their opening day roster (emphasis on players who were unexpected):
- PITCHERS (11): Chris Bootcheck (RHP), Hector Carrasco (RHP), Kelvim Escobar (RHP), John Lackey (RHP), Dustin Moseley (RHP), Darren Oliver (LHP), Francisco Rodriguez (RHP), Ervin Santana (RHP), Joe Saunders (LHP), Scot Shields (RHP), Justin Speier (RHP).
- CATCHERS (2): Jose Molina, Mike Napoli.
- INFIELDERS (7): Erick Aybar, Orlando Cabrera, Shea Hillenbrand, Maicer Izturis, Howie Kendrick, Robb Quinlan, Casey Kotchman.
- OUTFIELDERS (5): Garret Anderson, Vladimir Guerrero, Gary Matthews, Jr., Tommy Murphy, Reggie Willits.
Right-handed pitchers Alex Serrano and Matt Wilhite and outfielder Curtis Pride were reassigned to Minor League camp. Right-handed pitcher Chris Resop, catcher Jeff Mathis, infielder Kendry Morales and outfielder Nick Gorneault were optioned to Triple-A Salt Lake. Right-handed pitcher Chris Bootcheck had his contract selected from Salt Lake.Finally, Bartolo Colon, Chone Figgins, Juan Rivera, and Jered Weaver will all start the season on the 15-day DL, and Dallas McPherson will be on the 60-day DL. Colon and Weaver will make rehab starts at Rancho Thursday and Friday respectively.
- Sammy Sosa has made the Rangers' 25-man roster. Eric Gagne was placed on the 15-day DL retroactive to March 28. Marlon Byrd did not make the team and was designated for assignment; the Rangers will take former Diamondback Matt Kata as their reserve outfielder.
- The A's released Erubiel Durazo.
- Esteban Loiaza may start the season on the DL with back spasms.
- The Giants optioned RHP Brian Wilson to AAA Fresno; this was a very big surprise, because the Giants expected him to be a backup for Armando Benitez as a setup man or closer. His spring numbers have not been impressive, 7.71 ERA with a unity K/BB ratio.
Let's not elevate the nose and get all tetchy over common hardball. If he was on our club, I'd hope he'd do the same thing night after night.