Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Brad Clontz LAN b. 1971, played 1998
Darren Holmes LAN b. 1966, played 1990
Tony Phillips CAL,ANA b. 1959, played 1995, 1997
Ken Tatum CAL b. 1944, played 1969-1970
The Non-Joy Of Six: Giants 5, Dodgers 3Nine hits, four strikeouts, three walks, a balk (which proved harmless), and a home run marked a sub-par performance from Derek Lowe. Dave Roberts hit the homer, and so the moveable object found the resistable force. Lowe will do this from time to time, and thus the Giants extend their win streak to six games.
Russell Martin continued his stretch of bad defense, committing his fourth error of the season when he threw away a pickoff toss to center while trying to nab Dave Roberts steal second. Roberts then scored on Rich Aurilia's RBI single. As much attention as has been lavished — deservedly — on Martin's bat, he seems to have a rusty glove. Balls are sailing on him, or something.
The Dodgers tried to make it interesting in the bottom of the eighth, but Luis Gonzales squelched that rally in a big hurry when he grounded into a double play. It's not my imagination: Gonzales is tied for third in the National League in hitting into double plays, though three is still an awfully small number. Still, he seems primed for that kind of a year. Minus speed, minus adequate power, the opposition's 4-6-3 play ought to get a lot of work.
- Of almost no consequence: the Phillies returned catcher Ryan Budde to the Angels, acquired during the winter meetings.
- Bartolo Colon is still iffy for his next start, in which case Dustin Moseley will take his place.
- Chone Figgins will skip his Rancho rehab and go straight to AAA. The Angels hope to have him on the major league roster by Monday.
- Dodgers pitching prospect Scott Elbert missed his last scheduled start with a sore shoulder. The team will know more later today.
- Yhency Brazoban appeared in the Dodger dugout last night, but was not on the roster. He was between rehab assignments, and is expected to make a showing for AAA Las Vegas Thursday.
- Matt Kemp can throw without pain now, and will resume his rehab start with Las Vegas tonight.
- I missed this from a few days ago, but Tony Jackson says Chad Billingsley is having trouble adjusting to bullpen work.
- The Diamondbacks activated Randy Johnson, sending down Yusmeiro Petit to AAA Tucson.