Thursday, August 07, 2008
- The Dodgers are expected to activate Brad Penny from the DL on Friday as reported earlier in the week.
- Tony Jackson reports that Jason Schmidt is done for the year. Next: admitting he's done for his career.
- Mike Hampton got his first win in three years with a 11-4 Braves victory over the Giants on Tuesday.
- Update: Mike Napoli is expected to return on Friday.
- The A's purchased the contract of LHP Gio Gonzalez, and sent Sean Gallagher to get an MRI. To make room, INF Gregorio Petit was optioned to AAA Sacramento.
- The Giants activated reliever Keiichi Yabu from the DL. The team also recalled RHP Billy Sadler from AAA Fresno, DFA'd RHP Sergio Romo, and optioned RHP Osiris Matos back to Fresno.
- Closermania: Tony LaRussa moved to a closer by committee after Jason Isringhausen gave up three runs to tie Tuesday's game against the Dodgers. St. Louis leads the league in blown saves with 27, and Isringhausen has seven of those.
In Texas, the Rangers placed closer C.J. Wilson on the DL with bone spurs in his left elbow. He'll fly to Los Angeles to see Dr. Lewis Yocum. Manager Ron Washington designated Eddie Guardado the team's new closer.
- The Rockies indeed claimed Livan Hernandez off waivers from the Twins. Hernandez + Coors Field. This could be interesting.
- The Rays got Chad Bradford from Baltimore for a PTBNL. Bradford's strikeout rate has dropped to a scary 2.90 K/9, down from his career mark of 5.61.
- Ken Rosenthal reports that the Padres have placed Brian Giles on waivers, and the Red Sox made a claim. It's surprising that nobody else got there first.
- Update 2: Conflicting reports from the New York Daily News (yea) and the New York Post (nay) indicating that Andy Pettitte will or will not make his scheduled Sunday start against the Angels.