Monday, August 11, 2008
- Rangers closer C.J. Wilson will have season-ending arthroscopic surgery to remove bone chips on his elbow. He should be ready in time for spring training.
- The Mariners placed UT Willie Bloomquist on the 15-day DL after he injured his hamstring running out a ground ball. It could be the end of his season.
- Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford hit the DL with a hand injury, a right middle finger tendon injury he got during a check swing. Will Carroll ($) calls it a "subluxating extensor tendon" that could finish him for the season.
Also, the Rays' Evan Longoria got a bruised hand Friday night, but is not expected to hit the DL. Update: Oh, yes he will. His wrist has been fractured, and he hit the 15-day DL retroactive to Friday; Tampa Bay VP Andrew Friedman expects Longoria to be out three weeks, which just might be the most crucial three weeks in franchise history.
The Rays called up Dodgers (minor league) Old Friend Justin Ruggiano to take Longoria's spot on the 25-man.
- Belated: Former Angels (and Mariners) GM Bill Bavasi joined the Reds organization as a special assistant. What Walt Jocketty doeth, Bavasi undoeth. Helen should love this.
- Update 2: Tony Jackson reports the Dodgers' protest of last Wednesday's Cardinals game has been denied, to nobody's great surprise.