Saturday, September 06, 2008
- Francisco Rodriguez' desire to test free agency "doesn't mean I don't want to be here", and has left open the possibility of a return to the Angels after this season.
- Angel Berroa has nice things to say about Los Angeles and is interested in returning if the team wants to give him a contract. (Please, don't.)
- Takashi Saito will pitch a simulated game tomorrow.
- A bit late, but of huge importance for the Angels (and White Sox) as they head to the postseason: Chicago slugger Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist and is done for the rest of the season and postseason.
"What did happen was kind of unfortunate. It's kind of something that, you know, I still have trouble believing that it happened that way," Quentin said Friday.Quentin was leading the AL in home runs with 36.
"My last at-bat, the second pitch I fouled off against Lee. Something I've done thousands of times since I was a kid -- a little frustrated. I had the bat in my left hand, and I just kind of hit down on the bat head with my right hand with a closed fist. I kind of hit a little bit low, nicked my wrist and finished the at-bat.
"Forty minutes later, I started feeling something in my wrist. I woke up the next morning and that was that. Something I've done a lot, and unfortunately it hit the bone perfectly. Not a good spot."
- The White Sox also have Joe Crede down with back problems (again).
- The Yankees will throw rookie Alfredo Aceves against the Angels on Tuesday.
- The Rays activated Evan Longoria today, but he will be limited to pinch-running duties.