Thursday, November 20, 2008
- The Angels purchased the contracts of 1B Mark Trumbo and RHP Anthony Ortega.
- Tony Jackson reports the Dodgers have not made an offer to C.C. Sabathia.
Update: Via David Pinto, Jeff Sackmann at Brew Crew Ball relays an extensive analysis of why the Yankees' $140M offer and the Brewers' $100M offer aren't really that far apart. Cost of living, and especially, taxes will draw them closer. It's also possible that a shorter contract will, surprisingly, work in Sabathia's favor, because if he turns out to be the horse he's selling himself as, he'll have an opportunity to cash in again that much sooner, and for more real dollars. Bottom line, if the Dodgers are serious about making a bid for C.C., they might not have to outbid the Yankees — just the Brewers.
- Both the Cubs and A's are said to be pursuing Rafael Furcal, who is believed to be seeking a four-year deal.
- Jake Peavy supposedly would prefer to be traded to the Cubs over other NL destinations.
- Derek Lowe allegedly seeks a $16M/year deal, years unknown, but I have to speculate it's no less than three years. In this environment, he could probably ask for four and get away with it.