Sunday, May 24, 2009
Walk Away: Dodgers 5, Angels 4 (10 Innings)Seeing as how I missed making any comment whatsoever about Friday night's frustration-fest of a game, with both sides stranding a couple platoons' worth of baserunners, I advance to yesterday's equally annoying contest, one I'm glad I missed. Lackey was pretty good, but the Angels bullpen — surprise! — melted down again, and thank you very little. Jose Arredondo gave up a walkoff walk to Juan Pierre of all people. It was Pierre's 11th walk in 108 plate appearances this year. Unbelievable.
I'm not sure, but I think that also sets the LA Dodger record for walkoff walks in a single year.
K-Rod Carted Off With Back SpasmsThe hyperbolic New York Post story uses the word "collapsed", but the AP says he's "unavailable".
Other Roster Notes
- Jason Schmidt was clocked on the side of the head by a line drive off the bat of Freddie Sandoval.
- Andre Ethier will join Rafael Furcal in the dugout as observers in today's game. Ethier has a split toenail on his big toe that was made worse when it was directly hit by a John Lackey pitch in the fifth of last night's game.
- Shane Loux was placed on the 15-day DL with a sore shoulder retroactive to May 17. Rafael Rodriguez will get the callup to replace him on the 25-man roster.
- Scot Shields still has a sore knee (remember that patellar tendinitis), but is listed day-to-day.
- Update: Xavier Paul was hospitalized with a staph infection.
“Xavier had a previous infection that was classified as MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) which is a type of staph infection that is resistant to a lot of the antibiotics,” said Stan Conte, the Dodgers’ director of medical services. “So it’s difficult to treat.”