Wednesday, December 15, 2004
More Signing Notes
- Craig Counsell and his peculiar exclamation-point batting stance is going back to the Snakes, for two years and $2.7M, reports the AP.
- Edgar Rentaria confirms his move to Boston, for 4 years/$40M, according to the AP. The 29-year-old shortstop will be 34 at the end of the contract, and hit .287/.327/.401 in his last year with the Cardinals, around his career averages.
- Former Angel Osama Ben Weber has signed with the Reds, according to mlb.com. No terms were revealed, but I'd be shocked if he got much above league minimum. Hey, it probably means Aaron Sele has a chance.
- The Twins are supposedly close to a deal for former Dodger reliever Terry Mulholland. The 41-year-old lefty continues to get paid in a rapidly thinning free agent market.
- And, my favorite piece-du-jour, the Giants have released former starting catcher A. J. Pierzynski. As they say on TV, now how much would you pay?
- The A's acquire infielder Keith Ginter for RHP Justin Lehr and minor league OF Nelson Cruz. Ginter is expected to compete against the recovering Mark Ellis for a the 2B job in spring training.
- The AP says the Sexson deal is on, to the tune of 4 years/$50M, a bit higher from what had been reported earlier in the week. mlb.com also confirms the deal, but claims 4/$48M as the figure. I'll take the AP's numbers as they're more definitively stated.
So, yeah, Mariner Musings is all on suicide watch, or something.