Proceeds from the ads below will be donated to the Bob Wuesthoff scholarship fund.
Sunday, June 01, 2008
Random Bullety Stuff
- Shawn Estes of the Padres went on the DL with a broken thumb on his throwing (left) hand. He fell on the tunnel stairs between the team's clubhouse and dugout Friday night.
- Milestones: Manny Ramirez hit his 500th homer Saturday night off Chad Bradford of the Orioles, and his 501st tonight, and Bartolo Colon got his third win, going 3-0 on the season.
- Milestones 2: Ken Griffey, Jr. hit his 599th homer, also Saturday night, against Jair Jurrjens of Atlanta.
- Mark Prior, who never made the Padres, will have season-ending shoulder surgery.
"I can't imagine how frustrated he is," Black said. "It looked like everything was on course. Then to have this happen I'm sure is extremely frustrating. I'm upset for him just because there was such confidence from him about how he felt."
- The Cubs continue to have the best record in baseball after they swept the Rockies 5-3 earlier today. The last time they had the best record in baseball on June 1 was back in 1908, a very good year for the franchise, back in the Tinker-Evers-Chance days; I wrote a post at Bleed Cubbie Blue outlining the other times, based on record rather than the calendar.
- Long Beach State's season came to an end today with a 5-1 loss to the University of San Diego. The Dirtbags ended the season with a 16-8 in-conference record, tied with CSU Fullerton.