Wednesday, July 02, 2008
Pickoff Moves, Lunchtime Edition
Monday's Ogden BrawlI kept meaning to mention this on Tuesday, but it kept slipping my memory — anyway, here's the YouTube video of Monday's Ogden @ Idaho Falls game that saw 10 ejections, all in the first inning. Idaho Falls had plunked four Ogden batters in the previous two games.
Tardy: Requiting Love From SOSGSOSG is high on my Dodgers links section for a reason, and it's not just because this is some kind of mutual admiration society, either. Thanks for the kind words, guys, and believe me, I really enjoy your stuff, too, especially the off-day puzzles of late.
International Signing Day
- The Padres signed five players for $5,000,000.
- The A's signed Michael Inoa for $4.25M as a 16-year-old, the largest bonus for a non-Cuban Latin amateur ever.
Robo-Rumor: Angels, Dodgers After HollidayNothing like chasing a Coors Field mirage. And it'll only cost you everything the Angels have left of value in their farm system!
General manager Tony Reagins, in a telephone interview with FOXSports.com, said that he is speaking to rival clubs about deals but not focusing on any one particular area of improvement.
"The confidence level in our offense is still high," Reagins said.
The Angels, however, are tied for next-to-last in the American League in runs per game, even after rallying from a one-run deficit in the eighth inning Tuesday to defeat the A's, 5-3.
While the Angels lead the A's by 4 ½ games in the AL West, they could face another early postseason exit if they fail to upgrade their offense.
Holliday, according to Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News and FOXSports.com, is drawing interest from the Angels, Dodgers, Rays, Cardinals and Royals.
- The A's have disabled Eric Chavez with more shoulder problems.
- Frank Thomas won't be returning from the DL as early as hoped with quadriceps problems.
- Brad Penny threw a 50-pitch simulated game and reported no ill effects.
- Former Angel Troy Percival was placed on the 15-day DL with a hamstring strain; it's the second time this year with the same ailment.