Sunday, August 31, 2008
Jeff Kent Probably Done, Other Roster Notes
- Jeff Kent, sent for an MRI on Friday, has not yet received word of the results but it is expected his career is over.
Kent, 40, has been playing through pain from slightly torn cartilage in his knee for about a month, fully aware that the continued grind of playing baseball on an everyday basis meant there was a strong risk of additional, more painful tearing.Blake DeWitt will likely get the rest of the starts at 2B, according to Tony Jackson.
That additional tearing is believed to be what took place during Friday's game. Kent was said to be in "excruciating pain" after leaving the game, and club officials were holding out slim hope of getting him back in what is widely expected to be his final season.
- Jackson also has a list of September Dodger callups, which includes "[Andruw] Jones, Scott Proctor, Chin-lung Hu, A.J. Ellis, Delwyn Young, James McDonald, Eric Stults and Clayton Kershaw. There could be others."
- The Angels' alleged pursuit of David Eckstein may end up for naught, as Ken Rosenthal reports the Diamondbacks have become his leading suitors. The Angels are looking at Omar Vizquel and Juan Castro (!). Let's hope that's nothing but speculation.
- Oakland placed Frank Thomas on the 15-day DL with a strained right quadriceps. It's the second time this year he's been on the DL.
- "We’ve got our horse back!" exclaimed Dustin Pedroia upon learning that Josh Beckett's elbow is merely sore rather than facing structural damage. Beckett was shut down earlier in the week. Via BTF.