Proceeds from the ads below will be donated to the Bob Wuesthoff scholarship fund.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Minor League News I Forgot Last Night
- The Travs disabled David Herndon with a right forearm strain. Reliever Tim Kieley was promoted from high-A Rancho Cucamonga to take his place on the roster.
- Kevin Goldstein has some news about minor league surprises:
Alex Torres, LHP, Angels (High-A Rancho Cucamonga)
Sunday's stats: 8 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K
A 21-year-old Venezuelan, it's hard for a guy like Torres to really blow one way, as he's well under six feet tall while sitting in the upper 80s, but he's got a pretty special curveball, and when he throws strikes with it while hitting his spots with the heater, he can dominate. Sunday's outing was just another in a string of fine outings for the southpaw, who has allowed just two earned runs over 31.1 innings in his last five starts.
- No Angels or Dodgers prospect made Offensive Player of the Week, but Alex Torres made Cal League Pitcher of the Week for Rancho.
- Travis Witherspoon has signed with the Angels. So far, the Angels have signed nine of the 54 players they drafted, including fifth and sixth picks, pitchers Tyler Kehrer and Patrick Corbin; however, neither the MLB.com page nor Baseball America has which ones.
- The Salt Lake Bees recalled LHP Buddy Boshers from extended spring training.
- Update: Trevor Bell will make his AAA debut tonight after being called up from AA Arkansas.