Friday, July 31, 2009
More Trade Deadline Deals
- Rotoworld reports that Billy Beane shipped ex-Angel Orlando Cabrera to the Twins for minor league SS Tyler Ladensdorf and cash.
- Rotoworld is also reporting that the Tribe has sent catcher Victor Martinez to Boston, though no confirmation on that and no list of returning players. It makes a lot of sense, since the Sox haven't had a good plan behind the dish since the collapse of Jason Veritek as an offensive force (and from memory, as a defensive one as well).
- Ken Rosenthal reports that the White Sox have traded for injured Padres starter Jake Peavy. Peavy has reportedly waived his no-trade clause. The Padres received left-handers Aaron Poreda and Clayton Richard, and righties Dexter Carter and Adam Russell.
My feeling about this trade is it looks like it's about as good as the distressed Padres were going to get for an injured ace; the transcribe comments from a post-trade interview with Peavy at Gaslamp Ball indicate that Peavy thought he wasn't going to be with the team next year, and so this just accelerated an inevitable event.
- Rumor: Heath Bell and Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers for James Loney and unknown young players. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but ... um, no. Not if the new ownership wants any credibility.
- Casey Kotchman got on a plane for the second time in as many years, this time to Boston, with the Braves getting Adam LaRoche. LaRoche was shipped to Boston on July 22 from Pittsburgh.